11.26.2010

An Unusual Friday

The sun is just peeking over the trees and shining into my living room. For the first time in years, I'm sitting here in my robe on Black Friday morning, rather than fighting the crowds at the stores. Some of our best, most planned-out purchases have happened on Black Friday, but, this year, there's nothing we need. Having today totally empty, with absolutely nothing on the calendar, is kind of mind-boggling to me. It's a rare occurrence.

I think Baby's glad I'm taking it easy this morning- he's wiggling around like crazy, with the little room left he has to wiggle. It's entertaining to watch, but my ribs are taking a beating. We did most of our shopping for him last weekend, after the last baby shower, to finish getting what we need for his arrival. The supplies are in the house, but the boxes are still sitting unopened in our foyer. Maybe finishing organizing that stuff is a good project for today.

I did, admittedly, hit some of the Thanksgiving sales- yesterday. I planned an elaborate 5-transaction deal with ECBs at CVS, and it worked out as well as I could have hoped, considering I only had one coupon for the lot of it. As a bonus, I tagged along to Walgreens with my sister-in-law and figured out a Register Reward 3-transaction deal on the spot that worked out pretty well, too. All in all, I think I got about $60 worth of toiletries by spending less than $20 in cash, with $15 in ECBs & Register Rewards left over to spend. Also, we're stocked on toothpaste and shampoo for the foreseeable future, as well as some other needed stuff. Not too bad. I've been out of the drugstore game for a long while, so I was glad to jump back in, even for a day.

But now, I'm sitting at home, missing out on the flurry of craziness happening down the street at Target and Walmart and Kohl's over big screen TVs and heated blankets. I'm thankful we don't need anything this year. I'm thankful for this life inside me, making my stomach look like it's straight out of an Alien movie. I'm thankful Josh and I both get a 4-day weekend. I'm thankful for the family we got to see yesterday, who opened their home to us, and for the family we'll get to see tomorrow. I'm thankful for a day of doing nothing in the midst of a season of busyness.

I could go on. I have so much to be thankful for.

1 comment:

katy@thoughtforfood said...

I have literally never been shopping on Black Friday. I do hate crowds, but it's more that I'm just not organized enough to have an idea of what I'm supposed to be buying.

So, cheers to you on this Friday morning (I raise my coffee cup in a general northward direction)! I am still in my pjs, having awoken at a moderate 7:15 by the alarm of a certain 4-year old. Three cheers for missing out on deals (though I AM considering a trip to Walmart...)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin