11.29.2005

Happy Birthday Clive!

From The Writer's Almanac daily email:
It's the birthday of C. S. (Clive Staples) Lewis, (books by this author) born in Belfast, Ireland, (1898), the author of the children's series about the land of Narnia. He also wrote The Screwtape Letters (1941), in which he wrote, "The safest road to Hell is the gradual one—the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts." He was a confident Oxford philosopher, not at all prepared to find himself a Christian convert. To his friend Owen Barfield he wrote: "Terrible things have happened to me. The 'Spirit' or 'Real I' is showing an alarming tendency to becoming much more personal and is taking the offensive, and behaving just like God. You'd better come on Monday at the latest or I may have entered a monastery." He said, "Talk to me about the truth of religion and I'll listen gladly. Talk to me about the duty of religion and I'll listen submissively. But don't come talking to me about the consolations of religion or I shall suspect that you don't understand."


Lewis is one of my favorite authors, who I've blogged about before.
You know I'm excited about the upcoming movie based on Lewis' The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, though CNN says Lewis wouldn't be.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin