5.11.2009

Good friends

On Mother's Day weekend, I had the chance to spend time with one of my only friends who isn't a mother. The list has grown very short- I have about four non-mother female friends. Seeing that my only child is of the four-legged furry variety, I obviously don't hang out with many peers.

This weekend I deeply appreciated being able to spend time talking to another married, childless lady with similar passions and values to myself. I seriously don't get that very often, and it was so, so refreshing. I was reminded that I'm not crazy, and that there's more to life than thinking about diapers and runny noses (I love you, my mommy friends! I hope you had an awesome Mother's Day! I love talking about childbirth and diapers with you!) She and her husband have so many adventures ahead of them, and I'm so excited to see where they end up and where God takes them. I'm so thankful for her insights and perspective. I'm so thankful for a friend who listens and understands, and gets excited at the same things I do. CS Lewis in The Four Loves said of friends:
Friendship arises out of mere companionship when two or more of the companions discover that they have in common some insight or interest or even taste which the others do not share and which, till that moment, each believed to be his own unique treasure (or burden). The typical expression of opening Friendship would be something like, "What? You too? I thought I was the only one."
My friends who spent the weekend with me are not the only ones who are this sort of friend to me- I am thankful for all of you.

I'm thankful they put up with my cooking and our twin-sized guest bed. We can't compete with Vegas hotels, but hopefully the company's better :-P

I'm also thankful that our friends let us teach them some of our favorite games. On the list this weekend was Power Grid, Bohnanza Game, and Ticket to Ride.



I love extending hospitality. It's so fun for me. Anyone else want to come over?

5 comments:

Matt Moberly said...

We had an excellent weekend with friends as well, and got quite a few games to the table. As usual, Ticket to Ride was a big hit. One friend remarked "I thought your game about sheep and wheat was really stupid, but this one is the most fun game ever!"

We also tried out Wits & Wagers with 7 people and it was a blast. It's definitely my new favorite trivia game.

Joanna said...

This couple already liked Settlers and some other games, so we knew they'd be able to pick these up. We would have taught them Agricola, but all the games got started too late- we'd but up after midnight just teaching the game.

Kathie said...

I wanna come visit!

Joanna said...

Kathie- If you're ever passing through Indiana, come visit, seriously. That would be so fun! (I say "passing through" because that's all anyone does in Indiana, the Crossroads of America)

For anyone coming through the area, if they're willing to stop by, I promise to feed them- that's my policy!

Lisa said...

That's so sweet. Sigh.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin