3.14.2008

Frugal Fridays: Stretching a Deal

I'm always excited to find a deal, and making the deal last as long as possible is often the goal. While preparing dinner this week, I realized there were a couple easy ways I've done this recently:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
We were at Kroger shopping for some staples we were out of, and came across antibiotic-free chicken breasts for $1.69 a pound. I usually buy the individually-frozen chicken breasts, but this looked like a good deal, and it had the 'natural' marketing spin going for it... so I picked up a few packages. We were actually low on chicken, and I figured I'd freeze the packages and this would last us a while. Well, we don't use up a whole tray of chicken breasts every time I make a meal, and I'm wary of defrosting all of them to a point to wrangle just one or two from the block of ice.

What I did: Before I froze the tray of chicken breasts, I separated the pieces, wrapped each in wax paper, and put them all in a large freezer bag. I've seen suggestions to instead lay the pieces out on a cookie sheet to let them freeze individually, then out them in a bag together- but who, without having a chest freezer, has room for a cookie sheet in their freezer? Not I, with my full, side-by-side refrigerator.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Before I left for a long-weekend trip, I was getting supplies to pack lunches for the road. While wandering the aisles, I found the "manager's specials" cart mostly full of bread baked that morning, now considered "day-old". Well, it was obviously perfectly good bread. For 75 cents, I picked up a big, long loaf. But how to preserve the loaf, when we won't even be home to start trying to eat it for a few days?

What I did: When I got home, I sliced the loaf into thick slices, reassembled them in an approximate loaf-shape, and wrapped them in plastic wrap then a freezer bag, and stuck the bag in the freezer. My go-to side for almost any meal is garlic bread or garlic cheese bread, so now I'm able to pull out the number of slices I need for a meal and leave the rest preserved for later, and have a quick, tasty, frugal side dish.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
What do you do to stretch a deal? Also: a experiment I plan this weekend- making my own laundry detergent. Anyone have their favorite (liquid) recipe?

Check out more frugal tips!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never made my own detergent so I can't help you on that one. I use to wrap food like you do, but with 8 people in our family, I don't need to anymore...lol
Great ideas~

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Great ideas! :) I do the same thing with chicken & bread.

I've never made my own laundry detergent before, but I do add vinegar to the fabric softener/bleach dispenser in my washer.

Blessings,
Michele :)
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin