12.03.2007

Sunday Ponderings: Wonderful Counselor

The Christmas series at church is titled "A Christmas Sabbath"- the holidays are so busy and rushed, coming to the worship service allows us to slow down and reflect on the true meaning of the celebrations. We were warned last week, our worship experience would begin when we entered the room- and that was the case. We were greeted with a table with a lit candle on it, surrounded by unlit tea-lights. A note said to light a tea-light and take it to the manger set up in the mostly-dark worship area. As I walked slowly to the wooden manger, I thought about Jesus, Light of the World, entering our darkness. The manger was filled and surrounded by the lights, glowing like you'd see in an old painting. The reminder of the Light that came down to the rough and dark world was symbolized a physical way, and it was pretty cool.

The message was about Jesus as "Wonderful Counselor", focusing on his interaction with the Samaritan woman at the well. I could think of other examples in scripture where Jesus was a counselor. I appreciate that Jesus meets us where we're at. I may talk more about that later.

A song played during a time of reflection during the service was one I hadn't heard before, but liked. I tend to stare up at the stars and think "Maybe I was made this way/To think and to reason and to question and to pray". I liked the song.


I'm trying to work things out
I'm trying to comprehend
Am I the chance result
Of some great accident
I hear a rhythm call me
The echo of a grand design
I spend each night in the backyard
Staring up at the stars in the sky
...
Maybe this was made for me
For lying on my back in the middle of a field
Maybe that's a selfish thought
Or maybe there's a loving God

Maybe I was made this way
To think and to reason and to question and to pray
And I have never prayed a lot
But maybe there's a loving God
-Sara Groves, Maybe There's A Loving God

1 comment:

ashley said...

Oh I love the imagery of the candles by the manger! That must have looked so cool.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin