I LOVE making pies. If I had more pie plates, I would bring all sorts of pies to our dinner. As it is, I have two, and one is currently holding the remnants of a pumpkin pie I made over the weekend- so I only have one available. The choices, from my ideas & requests from family members are: pumpkin, strawberry, cherry, apple, pear, peach, chocolate pudding.
Here's the facts of the matter:
- I have apples available to me for free.
- If I make something with the apples, I have to bring it in to work as well.
- I may do this anyway, but it would potentially take my only remaining pie pan, unless I make a cobbler or some sort of apple muffins or bread, which would potentially not be as popular.
- I have pears available to me for free.
- I already have these and they are already ripe, so if I don't make something with them for Thanksgiving, I will have to shortly thereafter.
- Cherries for a pie would come from a can. I would need to buy these soon.
- Strawberries are not in season and would be frozen. I would need to buy these soon.
- I'm not sure if peaches are in season, so I may need to buy them in a preserved form.
- Sweet potato souffle is already on the menu, which is very similar to pumpkin pie. Also, I already used my one can of pumpkin, so need to go out & get another.
- Chocolate pudding pie seems like a cop-out.
- My last idea: making cupcake-sized "tarts" using many, any, or all of the above ideas, with mini-pie-crusts & filling
- I've never done this & don't know how it would work, but it sounds like fun.