Camping & boating

This weekend wore us out. We went camping with my husband's family and boating on Raccoon Lake, the family's traditional boating spot. As always, before we head out to the lake, much work has to be done on the boat to get it ready and running, which took most of Saturday (or it felt that way!). It's funny, but I really enjoyed this time.

Josh, his dad, and his younger brother were working on getting the boat running and the trailer & trailer lights hooked up to a new car. During all of this, I just sat. I did my best to stay out of the way, and I absorbed the surroundings. It was a beautiful morning, really. It was cool and misty, obscuring the view much beyond my parents-in-law's yard. I listened to the birds singing, and the guys talking and fiddling. I wandered around their 2 acres, taking pictures of details in the yard that caught my eye. I sat down and knit, and finally finished all the squares for both baby blankets I've been working on. I enjoyed the quiet, and the fresh air.

We got to the campsite at about dinnertime, set up camp quickly, and cooked brats and corn over the fire for dinner. Both were amazingly delicious. S'mores soon followed, before we turned in early for bed. Breakfast Sunday morning was early and yummy as well- we had sausage patties, potatoes, eggs, biscuits, and even tried to make cinnamon rolls in the camp cookers. It worked pretty well. We were out on the lake with the boat before 10:30, and zipped back and forth for a while until the lake got too busy. Everyone besides me took their turn being dragged behind the boat in a tube.

My favorite part of boating was stopping in a cove to swim before lunch- romping in the water, playing frisbee, and cooling off. Swimming in a lake always feels more real and adventurous- I enjoy it more than swimming in chlorinated pools. I had a blast. After our swimming stop, we drove to boat to a park for lunch, and sat around the picnic table and talked for a while. After lunch, the ladies got dropped off at a dock and we walked back to the campsite to begin packing everything up- Josh & I had to be at work the next day! When the guys were done, they came back to the campsite for an early dinner, then Josh & I headed for home.

Since we've been home, we've continued to be exhausted and sunburned, and nothing has gotten unpacked. The house is a mess and it's driving me nuts. After the weekend of getting-clothes-dirty, the laundry is really piled up. I feel like I've been slacking. I'm hoping to get caught up this week. REALLY hoping.


Matt said...

It's amazing the beauty you found in Mom and Dad's yard. It's been too long since I've slowed down and taken a long look around. Thanks!

Joanna said...

I loved the "slowing down and taking a long look around" and it helped that it was a beautiful misty morning. Catching these few glimpses reminded me why I want to move to the country...

ashley@twentysixcats said...

That sounds like a fun trip! I love tubing. I've only done it once, but I had a great time. Especially when you pull two people/tubes at the same time. ;-)


Blog Widget by LinkWithin