2.27.2007

Two birthdays and a poem

On the radio on the way to work this morning, I heard a snippet saying it was Henry Wadsworth Longfellows' 200th birthday today. I thought that was interesting, so I decided I would post a poem by him in celebration. Looking at a list of poems he penned, one jumped out at me, because I didn't know it was by such a famous poet. I always knew it as a nursery rhyme, taught to me by my grandmother, Nanny, whose 92nd birthday would also have been today. Longfellow probably has much finer poetry, but this is the most appropriate choice today.
There was a little girl
by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.

When she was good,
She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

(The picture is of my cousin's daughter, Nanny's great-granddaughter, who was the flower girl in our wedding, and to whom the poem could probably be applied.)

3 comments:

ashley said...

when my mom was little, she looked like your flower girl. :-) And she acted like the girl in the poem, too! She always repeated that poem to me when I was growing up (although I didn't have curls like that). Thanks for posting that. :-)

Anonymous said...

that poem was on of Nanny's favorites. she repeated it to me as often as I read the sleep book to my child!

James Kubecki said...

I always liked Longfellow's "patriotic" poems, like Paul Revere's Ride and The Building of the Ship.

People just don't read enough poetry anymore.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin