9.22.2006

Kitchen experiments


Dinner tonight was an experiment for me- a chicken pot pie. This is one of my favorite meals my mom would cook, so I decided to try my hand at it. My mom had given me a recipe, but not specified how to make the crust (my favorite part!), so I went hunting for another recipe that included a crust. I coulda sworn I had one, but couldn't find it, so settled on one using refrigerator biscuits as a topping. That was disappointing, but I gave it a shot anyway. After finding the recipe, I made the white sauce as it directed but kinda threw in whatever vegetables we had on hand. I steamed carrots in my new rice cooker, cooked potatoes, and threw in frozen corn, peas, and green beans, because it sounded like a good idea. It ended up being a much quicker meal than I anticipated, and healthy, too, with all the vegetables.

The results: Overall, a pretty good meal. Next time, I'm going to leave out the green beans, and steam the carrots a little longer. I'm also going to research a good crust recipe, since the biscuits on top were OK but I prefer a flaky crust all around.

Not to be outdone, Josh cooked up his favorite treat- pudding cake- and we ate it with Cool Whip and it was a yummy for dessert. The 'pudding cake' tastes very much like cake covered in hot fudge. I liked it.

I'm going to experiment tomorrow with a pizza crust recipe I found online- I've been using a Jiffy pizza crust mix and it's turned out bready, and I prefer a chewy crust. Hopefully my experiment will turn out well. The recipe makes like 6 crusts, I think I will cut it in half then freeze a couple balls of dough. We'll see. It's an adventure :)

All my other adventures are getting rained out this weekend, so I'm not sure how much I'll have to report come Monday.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

So, who woulda thought, the day after I blogged about Josh's pudding cake, the daily AllRecipes baking RSS feed featured a "Floating Brownie" recipe that's essentially the same thing.

Anonymous said...

We make this chicken pot pie from time to time:

http://pie.allrecipes.com/az/CheesyChickenPotPie.asp

I tend to add more carrots or peas than it calls for, and also I don't bother letting the filling cool off before baking it. If you use this recipe, the baking temperature is wrong-- we bake it at 400 or 425 for about 30 minutes.

And here is the pie crust we use for it:

http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/az/CrustforVeggiePotPie.asp

Mr. B. adds 1 T of sugar to the crust as well.

Good luck in pot pie land.... YUM. We are also enjoyers of the brownie pudding cake type confections.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin