12.14.2005

Irreducible Complexity

I've heard that all little girls go through a Horse stage, where they're obessed with all things horses. This can be substituted for a kitty, puppy or dolphin stage. My thing was dolphins and whales, in my early elementary school years. I had my hopes set on being a dolphin trainer when I grew up, like I had seen at the zoo or Sea Life Park.

Well, that didn't happen. But thanks to that stage, I now hold in my head lots of useless trivia about all types of whale and whale-related animals. The most mysterious of these is the narwhal, the 'unicorn of the sea'. Why 'unicorn', you ask? Well, it's because it has a single 'horn' (actually a long, pointy tooth) that extends out up to ten feet from the beautiful whale's head.

I'm going on about this because of a new study saying that the narwhal's tusk is actually a sensing device able to feel and detect water attributes. Amazing. From the CNN article:
There is no comparison in nature and certainly none more unique in tooth form, expression, and functional adaptation," Harvard said in a statement.
...
"Why would a tusk break the rules of normal development by expressing millions of sensory pathways that connect its nervous system to the frigid arctic environment?" Nweeia asked. "Such a finding is startling and indeed surprised all of us who discovered it."


I like the fact the scientists are the one saying this. It gives more validity to the thought that, if this is too outrageous to have evolved, maybe it didn't.

There is no such thing as 'proving God'- science doesn't take into account supernatural causes, and therefore can't attribute anything to a non-natural cause, but this tusk does poke some more holes in evolutionary theory, for the time being. This sure looks like a case of irreducible complexity.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin