4.19.2005

25 years

Today in history:
  • 1995: A truck bomb blows up outside the Alfred P. Murrah federal building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; 168 people are killed.

  • 1993: After a 51-day siege, U.S. federal agents storm the Branch Davidian compound in Waco, Texas; a fire breaks out killing at least 80 Branch members and leader David Koresh.

  • 1994 Rodney King award $3,800,000 in compensation of police beating

  • 1991 Battle of the Ages-Heavyweight champion Evander Hollyfield beats 42 year old George Foreman in 12 for heavyweight boxing title

  • 1960 Baseball uniforms begin displaying player's names on their backs

  • 1909 Joan of Arc, declared a saint

  • 1775 American Revolution begins-Lexington Common, shot "heard round the world"

Lots of important things happened today, lots to commemorate. The most important to me, however, happened 25 years ago today, when my parents were married at Faith Chapel on Jekyll Island, Georgia.
Now, I wasn't around yet, obviously, but this is a significant day for me because I've seen the fruits of it - the beautiful life made by this couple who has overcome cross-country moves and cancer and teenage girls to preserve their relationship and their faith. As I, too, approach marriage, I look to my parents as a prime example of what I one day would like to be, a relationship grounded in God and unwavering commitment to each other.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin