11.11.2004

Long Time No Blog

So, I've neglected this for the last week and a half. Let's try to think of things of note that have happened in that time.

  • Last week was World Opportunities Week on campus. Although I did not take advantage of the week as much as I usually do or ought to have, maybe, I really did appreciate the speaker at chapel, Chris Huertz, the executive director of a ministry called Word Made Flesh. (A sidenote: while googling his name, an article came up in Sojourners Magazine. This online magazine caught my attention during the election as being a unique Christian viewpoint that spoke truth in a very relevant way. Although I probably don't agree with everything in the magazine, I definitely appreciate alot of it.)
    Anyway, Chris spoke on his heart for the 'poorest of the poor.' He has a passion for social justice, and lives it out! He made me see how much of the world needs physical help and how little we as the Church are doing. As a past chapel speaker has said, how can someone consider Jesus or their eternal destiny when they are wondering when they will have their next meal? Social justice issues I've never considered before have come to light while I've been in college. I think these will be issues I will continue to care about alot.

  • Friday night I expected to spend the evening watching Bourne Identity at Orphan Night, but, as the movie began, a friend popped her head in and told everyone of a concert in Marion. Tree63 was going to be there, and Josh & I had heard of a couple other of the bands, so we picked up and left for the youth rally.
    Honestly, it was a funny feeling. I've been to who-knows-how-many of these events, starting in junior high and going through high school. The jumping up and down, the yelling, the evangelistic, emotional speakers, the invitation, the lights and smoke... I've seen it all before lots of times. Every other time before I was a part of it, I was in the middle of things. This time, I felt like I was on the outside as an observer. Things look very different from the outside. It was still flashy and loud, but I didn't get swept in this time. The speaker had good points, but mostly he appealed to emotion, although he was speaking truth. One of the singers was ridiculous, but the crowd loved him. It was very different. I don't know if I'll ever go to one again.

  • The weekend was full of adventure. Saturday, Josh & I headed to Indy to have a day on the town- we spent the afternoon at the Children's Museum, which I ALWAYS love, went to Holliday Park for a bit to kill time, then went to Beef and Boards to enjoy Fiddler on the Roof. It was a delightful time. The couple that was also sitting at our table happened to know the pastor at our church in Muncie. That was cool.

  • Sunday, on the way back from Muncie, I looked in the sky and saw a strange light and thought to myself, "that's really random looking light pollution." It was a light band with dark above and below. Normally light pollution comes from the ground. I though it looked like the Northern Lights, but then disregarded the thought. Well, while pulling into the parking lot, the radio announcer said "If you're outside or driving tonight, look up. People are reporting seeing strange lights in the skies that look like the auroura borealis" The Northern Lights! I was very excited. By midnight, other people had seen them too, and everyone still awake was scrambling outside to see the phenomena. I took a couple girls further from campus, to a dark field, and from there the view was breathtaking- red and green and white and blue lights dancing in the sky in pillars. Awesome.
    I went in search of the lights Monday night too, but with no luck. It was a neat opportunity. God's cool.

  • This week, school-work-wise, has been good. Better than last week's two tests and a paper, anyway. I've enjoyed a little more free time. We had small group last night and are studied Zechariah 4-9. A passage of note, alluding to the WOW speaker mentioned above:
    And the word of the LORD came again to Zechariah: "This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.' (Zech 7:8-10)

  • Tomorrow, I'm going to the Living Room, a coffeehouse in Muncie, with Josh & a couple of his friends to see Josh Garrels. Looking forward to that. But, even more, I'm looking forward to seeing CHRIS RICE on Saturday. I'm VERY excited, if you can't tell. Josh surprised me with these tickets a while back, and I'm still very delighted.

That's what I've been up to, mostly. Not completely, just mostly. Hope it didn't bore you too much. Sorry about the lack-of-posting lately. I'll hopefully get back on schedule soon.

1 comment:

ashley said...

hi :-) it's hard to comment on your post because you wrote a lot! well i'll just pick something. :-) I hope you had a great weekend, and it sounded like you really enjoyed the Chris Rice concert and so that's awesome. :-) Hmm i don't know what else to say that I can't ask you in person, so i will just say keep writing because I am reading (though not always good at commenting). :-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin