2.22.2011

What's the world going to look like?

Replogle Globes Traveler Globe, 12-Inch, BlueAlthough I've been playing 'stay at home mom' (and, more recently, 'work at home mom') these last couple months, I've done my best to keep up with world events, as to not totally live in a bubble. World news as of late has gotten me thinking- what will the world look like when this baby sleeping on my lap learns world geography? There's turmoil in so many countries all of a sudden- what will come of it? Will new nations exist? Will the same nations exist, but look very different than they do today?

CNN has an 'unrest in the Middle East' primer of sorts, and includes these countries:

Egypt
Bahrain
Tunisia
Iraq
Iran
Libya
Morocco
Algeria
Sudan
Yemen
Djibouti
Jordan
Kuwait
Syria
Palestine

That's a long list! It's funny how, to 'spread democracy' to these countries, cell phones and social media and grassroots movements seem to be having more of an effect than Western invasions. As a kid, I had a globe that included the USSR, and was missing the former Soviet republics that didn't exist until I was 6 or 7. I better wait to buy Elliott his first globe until after this all settles down!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin