11.04.2010

Picking a Greeting...

Should I bother with Christmas cards this year? I know it seems early to start thinking about this, but I've got a lot to think about before Christmas rolls around, and this is on the list.

I mean, there's the fun of sending out birth announcements, but I've noticed lately I've been getting many of those online rather than in the mail. It's somewhat unlikely this kid will make an appearance pre-Christmas, so combining the two mailings to family and friends probably won't work out- otherwise I'd be all about photo Christmas cards celebrating two exciting births- the birth of Christ and of our new arrival. As convenient as that would be, I'm not getting my hopes up. I wonder if a very-belated "Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and, oh by the way, We Had a Baby" card would annoy anyone?

Last year, I handmade my Christmas cards using an origami dove, communicating the message "Peace on Earth"- just as the angels did. Reflecting on the Peace and Glory of the season was on my heart last year, and I wanted to share it with our friends and family. This year, I don't think I'll have the time or energy to handcraft the cards, though it was fun and meaningful to do.

What I really want this year? A religious Christmas cards design with a pregnant Mary- because that's what I'm reflecting on as December marches closer. As we get ready to celebrate the birth of Christ, I wonder what things Mary was 'treasuring in her heart' as her miraculous pregnancy and birth progressed. I think of my circumstances, and what occupies my thoughts as the prospect of my firstborn inches closer. She was in such different circumstances; I wonder what we have in common? Ideally, I'd somehow communicate the Wonder and Newness and Anticipation of the Christmas season in my card to family and friends, relating it to our special anticipation this year. Do you think I can find a card for that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------


This post was inspired by Shutterfly. If you're a blogger & want to write a Christmas card post, too, and receive 50 free cards, check out their offer. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

I think you TOTALLY could combine Christmas and baby announcements. One year, a friend had a baby at the end of November. She wrote and addressed the Christmas letter before, and then stuck in a picture of the baby and a little piece of paper with name/birth date/birth weight/etc. after the baby was born. I thought that was a great way to do it - that way you're not stressing about it after the baby comes.

Joanna said...

Ashley - I guess my hesitation with that is, as much as I tend to deny it- This baby could just as easily be born mid-January as he could before Christmas. Would a "Christmas letter" still be OK if it was more than a month late?

Alisse Goldsmith said...

I definitely think a very belated holiday/birth announcement would be great. My cousin did one last year, and I still have it on my fridge :) Baby's are particularly precious in winter/holiday gear!

Ashley said...

I think everyone would understand, and also you don't have to call it a Christmas letter. I've sent out Christmas letters in January before, and I've received some that late too. Or, if you really want the Christmas letter to be in December, you could email one and mail the other, assuming that most of your list has email access. But I know if I got a Christmas letter at the end of January that said, "We waited until the birth of our son to send this letter..." I would just be excited to see the adorable picture and wouldn't even notice the date. :-)

Larissa said...

I agree with everyone else.

Also, I like your Christmas card idea. Have you thought about messaging someone on etsy.com to see if she/he would custom make what you want?

Joanna said...

Larissa- Checking out Etsy is a great idea! I hadn't thought of it. Also, I've been obsessed with perusing etsy lately, so this gives me yet-another things to browse on there :)

Heather said...

Save the stamp money and combine it all. You know we won't care as long as we get a picture of the new Burress Boy:)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin