2.24.2009

Rewind Week: Exodus 14:14

First published on 5.28.2004

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."

I read that a couple days ago, and boy, did I need to hear it. Here, Moses is speaking to the people of Israel. At this point in Exodus, they are very nervous because they have a massive army heading at them on one side, and a large body of water on the other. Kind of a Bible-times version of a rock and a hard place. They want to run, to hide, to fight, to do something besides just sit there! But the nonintuitive thing is what God says to do. "You need only to be still."

Yeah, that would drive me crazy, if I were one of those Israelites. And, today, it still drives me crazy. To be still when the world around me seems to be in turmoil?! Totally nonintuitive. Totally not me, being a very problem-solving, task-oriented person. But it's what God calls me to- to be still and let Him fight for me. That's where faith, for me, comes in- trusting Someone outside myself to take care of things, trusting that God is big enough for me to NOT do anything but wait.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin