10.25.2007

Sally's story

On my way into the apartment on Tuesday, before I got to the door of our building, I stopped dead in my tracks. My mouth was agape, and I stood there for an awkwardly long amount of time.

Ahead of me on the sidewalk was some sort of lizard- of a size I thought only existed in tropical climes and pet stores. I know for a fact we aren't a tropical climate, so my conclusion was that I was looking at a pet that someone freed- that I was sure wouldn't survive long in the dropping temperatures that Fall is now bring us. What did I do? Anyone remember the last critter in peril that I came across?

Yeah, I pretty much did the same thing, except I didn't touch it. I put it in a box and took it up to my apartment, and put it under a warm desk lamp until I figured out what it was. If it was someone's pet, I would either keep it (not likely, with my husband not preferring creepy-crawly pets) or find a pet store or rescue to return it to. If it was an indigenous species, I'd release it near the pond behind our apartments- probably where it came from. With Ashley's help, we determined it is a Tiger Salamander (hence, Sally.) Apparently this is a local wild species- though I certainly had never come across one before! The only wild lizard-like things I've encountered were geckos and anoles in Hawaii.(To be clear- I say lizard-like because salamanders are amphibians, not reptiles, like lizards. They just happen to be the same shape.)

Wikipedia says "Eastern tiger salamanders are large, with a typical length of 6-8 inches." and this guy was on the upper end of that- definitely closer to 8 inches long and about an inch and a half wide. Wikipedia also says "Adults are rarely seen in the open"- which explains why I've never come across one of these, even after living in Indiana for 10 years. I was feeling pretty silly about not knowing about this piece of native wildlife.

So, Sally Mander is now free! Who knows if I'll come across one again.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin