8.08.2007

Kids Say the Darndest Things

This was Family Reunion Weekend, where quality time with relatives abounds. Friday night, we were at a karaoke party (No. I didn't sing. I don't sing in public. Period.), which is always a lot of fun. The thousands of kids that were there (OK, there were only 11. I think. They moved pretty fast.) like playing with the microphones, too, and a children's songs karaoke disc was playing "The Farmer in the Dell". I was sitting on the couch with Josh, his mom, and our four-year-old nephew.
The farmer in the dell
The farmer in the dell
Hi-ho,The derry-o
The farmer in the dell

The farmer takes a wife
The farmer takes a wife
Hi-ho,The derry-o
The farmer takes a wife

The wife takes a child
The wife takes a child
Hi-ho,The derry-o
The wife takes a child

The child takes a nurse
The child takes a nurse
Hi-ho,The derry-o
The child takes a nurse

The nurse takes a dog
The nurse takes a dog
Hi-ho,The derry-o
The nurse takes a dog

Our nephew didn't seem like he knew the song. I was singing along (but not with a microphone in my face!) As we sang, he listened ...

The dog takes a cat
The dog takes a cat
Hi-ho,The derry-o
The dog takes a cat

The cat takes a rat
The cat takes a rat
Hi-ho,The derry-o
The cat takes a rat

The rat takes the cheese
The rat takes the cheese
Hi-ho,The derry-o
The rat takes the cheese

The cheese stands alone
The cheese stands alone
Hi-ho,The derry-o
The cheese stands alone


And when it was over, my nephew exclaimed, "It's like a food chain!" Our jaws dropped. We looked at each other. I stammered something about, Yeah, it is like a food chain. The adults mouthed to each other, Where does he get this stuff? Food chain?

It was all very amusing. The food chain analogy works with the dog, cat, rat & cheese, but breaks down in the other cases. I didn't explain that. I was still proud and amazed that my smart little nephew made the science connection at all. I sure didn't.

In addition to the party Friday, there was the official reunion, same time, same place at a park in Frankfort. I didn't get tons of pictures- here are a few.
familyreunion07

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin