2.21.2007

Beauty of Isaiah

So, I'm not officially participating in the Carnival of Beauty: Beauty of of Isaiah hosted at Beth & Ashley's Onward an Upward today, but I can across the God's Politics verse of the day from Isaiah that was too appropriate for both the Carnival and for today, Ash Wednesday, to pass up.

I've never participated in Lent; I like the idea but the biblical mandate for it really hasn't ever been explained to me well enough. The demand from God for a fast in Isaiah, however, is one that I like:
"Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?

Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
- Isaiah 58:6-7
To think! If every Christian accepted this fast for 40 days, what a difference we could make in the world! More of a difference than, say, giving up soda or video games for a month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish you could've been at church with us on Sunday. He explained why we do what we do during Lent. However, since I was busy with Kevin and Kaden I didn't soak it all in like someone else could have. It's good to be reminded and hear another's perspective :) Too bad my mind was more focused on raisins and keeping our voices quiet!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin