9.08.2006

Another kitchen milestone

So, I was excited that I had accomplished the feat of baking bread last week. This week my next step was whipping up meatloaf after work, before Josh got home. I deviated from the recipe in front of me, and I wasn't so sure how it was going to turn out, but Josh's review was favorable. A quote from my husband: "This is probably the best meatloaf I've ever had, seriously." Hooray.
Before the Oven:

After the oven:

The Recipe:
Easy Meatloaf
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 C dry bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 C onion, minced (I didn't use this. We don't have any, and I don't like it anyway.)
- 1/4 C green pepper, diced (same as the onion.)
- 1 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 2 C tomato sauce (This was 1 can.)
- I found another recipe that suggested adding thyme, so I threw some in.

Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, green pepper, onion, salt, pepper, and 1 C tomato sauce. Use hands to knead the mixture unti lit is well combined (This is the fun part! You HAVE to use your hands.) Shape into loaf (Notice I used a small glass casserole dish, because we don't have loaf pans. The recipe doesn't say what pan to use.) and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Pour remaining 1 C tomato sauce over loaf (I probably poured 1/2 to 2/3 C, I didn't use the rest of the can. i was afraid my dish would overflow.) and bake 30 minutes longer. Slice and serve immediately.

Of course, we had mashed potatoes with meatloaf- there's no other way to eat it- and I've got making those down pat.

Coming tomorrow: Pictures and stories from Coxhall Gardens and Zionsville Fall Festival

3 comments:

Daniel and Teresa said...

Yummy! If I come over, will you make some for me? ;)

Joanna said...

Yes! Most definitely. If you make the trip from the Dominican Republic to have meatloaf at our apartment, I will definitely make some for you. When are you coming, so I can put it on the calendar? ;)

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

I have tried making meatloaf two different times, and we just end up throwing it away. The first time I used Josh's mom's recipe, then I used one out of Better Homes and Garden's cookbook. Both times, there was way too much grease - and I used lean meat! - in the bottom of the pan. I used a loaf pan and the grease was literally up to top! It was swimming! I love meatloaf. Maybe I will try your recipe as my final attempt, because your picture looks fantastic. I did make some scrumptous pork tenderloin the other day and thought about taking a picture, but we ate it instead. :-D Maybe next time.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin