9.19.2004

The Whole Gospel

Today I heard Matt Carder preach for the second time at Union Chapel. The first time I heard him, I was very impressed, and today, I was again challenged and encouraged.
The topic today was "The Whole Gospel"- having an understanding of being a Jesus-follower that is broader and deeper than "I'm going to heaven when I die." I appreciated that. He highlighted that Jesus message was not "I came to save you from Hell", but, instead, "The Kingdom of Heaven is near." The Kingdom of Heaven is the point- living in it now.
At Grace once-upon-a-time, we had a sermon series on the Kingdom of Heaven. I still remember much of it. The values of the Kingdom of Heaven are things like justice for the poor and orphaned, stewardship of the earth, the least being the greatest, working to an end to racism, and other issues that aren't talked about in church. Matt touched on these, but there were a couple specific points of his that really caught me.

-Is becoming a Christian just stepping over a line, from 'those destined for hell' to 'those who will die & go to Heaven', or is it or stepping over a starting line, beginning the great adventure that God has for you?

-Matt pointed out the parallel in these verses, that really caught me:
They replied, "Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory." "You don't know what you are asking," Jesus said. "Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?" "We can," they answered. Jesus said to them, "You will drink the cup I drink and be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with, but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared."
Mark 10:37-40

The written notice of the charge against him read: THE KING OF THE JEWS. They crucified two robbers with him, one on his right and one on his left.
Mark 15:26-27

When Jesus was crowned with thorns and labelled 'King', in his glory, the places were taken on his right and his left. God's plans are funny sometimes. But He is good. And knows better than we do, especially when we ask for foolish things. I'm glad of that, for I am a foolish girl.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin